A great local event is the World Stone Skimming contest on Easdale island, this year its on Sunday 23 September 2018, with a restriction on 350 entrants. The event was started in 1983 and resurrected in 1997. Contestants hail from around the world and the championships now attract over 300 participants and many spectators. Anyone of any age and any level of skill can enter.
Official Rules of the World Stone Skimming Championships are:
- Skimming stones must be no more than 3 inches in diameter and formed naturally of Easdale slate
- To qualify, the stone must hit the water 3 times and sink within the designated lane as marked by the buoys
- Skims are judged on the distance thrown rather than the number of bounces
- Competitors hitting the back wall are entered into a ‘Three Stone Toss-Off’ which is judged by the cumulative distance of their three tie-break throws.
- The judges’ decision is final